Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Europe Trip

I guess I have gotten the Gypsy blood in me. I started off the end of May in Alabama with Melissa and had 10 wonderful days with Jimmy, Melissa and Maddy, Bo and Ashes. And then headed off to Europe for 3 weeks. I must say I have had the time of my life lately. For the past 50 years I was afraid to step out of the door I guess you could say. And the past 2 years has opened up so many new and wonderful opportunities for me to explore what other people in far off lands do, and enjoy. I was able to go with 3 other women that I knew, Carol, Robin and Nicki. We had so much fun in Scotland. We explored new foods, new ways to drive and that you don't leave your car by itself while you check into your hotel or you will have a parking ticket when you come out.

We learned to drive (well Nicki drove...and did very well at that) on the wrong side of the road, learned that roundabouts are everywhere and you have surprise stop lights in some. The people you meet are more than willing to explain where you are lost at. That fired mars bars with catsup really is good. That stairs really do get you in shape, and that their are more bicycles than cars in Europe.

We learned on our trip around Europe to be thankful for home. That toilets are free at home and in Europe they are .50-1.00 euro when ever you need one. I am thankful for toilet seats because that just were not very many in Europe. And that the water we take for granted that comes from our faucets is priceless.. because you can't drink the water in Europe except for the kind that you buy and at 1.00-4.00 euro a bottle it can be very costly!

I loved the people we traveled with on the tour bus. There were 40 others of us. Mostly from Australia, one from California and a few other places. Families with kids, and grandparents and some just on their own. I made friends with a really wonderful gentleman from Australia who treated me like a princess, (at least I felt like one). We were able to spend time exploring the sites and learning about each other countries, and it was nice to get to know him.

The statue of Liberty was a site that I guess I didn't really know was anywhere except in the USA but, there is one in Paris. The Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Castles, the rivers trips the english channel, the white chiffs of Dover, Amersterdam was a site in itself. Lake Lucere Switzerland, Verona Italy and Romeo and Juliet, Venice and the gondola ride, Heidenberg, Alps, The lion Monument, Assisi, Rome. St. Peter's Sq., the Roman Forum and the mighty Colosseum, Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel . Monte Carlo and Monaco Sorrento. The volcano Vesuvius that covered the city of pompeii, Neapolitan Riviera, Island of Capri, Florence Italy, French Riviera, France, shores of Cote d' Azur, Grenoble, Beaune and beautiful Paris. These were just a few of the many sites to see.

I think I have found my wings. It is the big silver bird in the sky. I love to fly and float above the clouds and watch the wings of the plane gently glide through the air. I am hooked! And where will I be next year..... wait and see!

2 comments:

Melissa & Jimmy said...

Looks like you had a great time. I think you should plan a yearly trip like that! Next one is to Hawaii! You can stay for as many months as you want!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you had fun but we sure did miss you!